5 Tactical Tips to Survive a Home Invasion
Are you aware that you're eight times more likely to be involved in a home invasion attack than you are to be involved in a house fire?
1. You need to develop a code word that will tell your entire family that it’s time to spring into action. The word "ESCAPE" works very well and is simple and straight to the point.
2. Designate a "safe room" in your home where everyone can go to at the same time. This room should be stocked with several specific items that will help you survive the upcoming fight. The one thing that you must have in this room is a phone that can be used to call the police.
3. Do not, under any circumstances, leave the safe room. If you have your family in the room with you, resist the urge to put on your cape and fight the invaders single handedly.
4. Develop a "fatal funnel". If you are using a gun for home defense, position yourself in a corner of the safe room that is on the opposite side of the door. This will give you the maximum amount of time decide if you're going to shoot because you'll be the last thing the intruders see when they burst through the door. In this instance, you have the advantage because they will have to make an assessment of the room before they make a move. You only have to decide if you're going to shoot or not. You will know that it’s either the police coming to your rescue or the bad guys coming to harm you. Just make sure you don't shoot the police.
5. Stay in the safe room until the police arrive, no matter how long it takes. Even if you are pretty sure the home invasion is finished and the intruders have left, do not leave the safe room.